I came across this recipe on the internet and it is wonderful. All of my kids love it, its super easy, and a very forgiving recipe. I have made several of my own additions so I'll give you the original recipe and then my improvements. Enjoy!
3 1/2 c. peeled and diced potatoes
1/3 c. diced celery
1/3 c. finely chopped onion
3/4 c. diced cooked ham
3 1/4 c. water
2 T chicken bouillon granules
1/2 t. salt or to taste
1 t. pepper
5 T butter
5 T flour
2 c. milk
Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a pot and bring boil. Cook on medium heat until potatoes are tender about 10-15 minutes. Stir in bouillon, salt, and pepper.
In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over med-low heat until thick, 4-5 mintues.
Stir the milk mixture into the pot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.
Robin's New Improved Soup
Instead of making the white sauce to thicken the soup with I added extra water and bouillon and approx. 3-4 more potatoes. Once the potatoes were soft I took them out with some bouillon and puréed them in the blender and then added it back into the soup. I don't have the exact measurements as this was really a mistake that I was trying to fix without wasting food...long story.
I also added broccoli and corn towards then end. I'm thinking you could add any vegies your family enjoys. After the soup had been served I topped it with some shredded cheddar cheese.
Tonight I made this soup with some baking powder biscuits with cheese mixed in and it was a hit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment